Groot Constantia – Trophy, National and Area Winners in 2018 Novare Terroir Awards
Groot Constantia was awarded Novare Trophy’s for SA Terroir Top Producer, as well as Top Wine Estate in the 2018 Novare SA Terroir Awards.
In addition to this, the estate’s 2015 Grand Constance was declared the National Winner in the Top Natural Sweet Category, and the 2016 Cape Ruby Port was named as the National Winner in the Top Port Style category.
Groot Constantia also cleaned up in the Area Winner Awards category for the Constantia, Hout Bay and Cape Point Terroir Districts – taking home awards for:
- Top Merlot (Groot Constantia Merlot 2016);
- Top White Blend (Groot Constantia Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon 2017);
- Top Chardonnay (Groot Constantia Chardonnay 2017);
- Top Pinotage (Groot Constantia Pinotage 2016);
- Top Shiraz (Groot Constantia Shiraz 2015);
- Top Port Style (Groot Constantia Cape Ruby 2016);
- Top Rosé/Blanc de Noir (Groot Constantia Blanc de Noir 2017) and
- Top Natural Sweet wine (Groot Constantia Grand Constance 2015).
“The Novare SA Terroir Wine Awards honour the wines which portray South Africa’s different wine growing areas. With the concept of “terroir” being popular among wine aficionados, the idea behind the Novare SA Terroir Awards is to discover wines that best represent the terroir in which they are produced,” explains Boela Gerber, winemaker for Groot Constantia.
Groot Constantia entered their fourth National Winners in a row this year, and each year the winners have been a different cultivar or style. Previous years saw the estate’s Merlot, Pinotage, and Gouverneurs Reserve White walk away with national awards – displaying Groot Constantia’s overall variety of award winning quality styles and cultivars.
Floricius Beukes, Viticulturist and Estate Manage for Groot Constantia says that the estate is blessed with diverse vineyard sites and that this combination of different terroirs on one estate accommodates the production of a diverse range of award winning wines.
“Groot Constantia is an amazingly versatile property and we are truly delighted to win all of these awards in the 2018 Novare Terroir Awards. The combination of a great team in the vineyard and unique terroir, with our minimum intervention approach to wine making, has proved to be very successful,” says Jean Naudé, General Manager of Groot Constantia.
With an uninterrupted record of wine production since its inception in 1685, Groot Constantia is South Africa’s oldest wine producing estate. The estate recently celebrated 333 years and going strong.
From our cellars Frederick the Great of Prussia, Louis Phillipe (King of the French) and Napoleon were supplied...
come and add yourself to the list!
Become part of a lineage of royalty and noble men who have savoured our wines for centuries.
By joining our exclusive Groot Constantia Wine Club you will enjoy the following exclusive benefits:
- No initial sign up cost
- Wine Club Members receive a standard 10% discount on Groot Constantia wines bought at the Groot Constantia Wine Estate and on our website www.grootconstantia.co.za
- Be among the first to be informed of specials and new releases
- Have the exclusive opportunity to pre-order new vintages